Housebreaking Ten Commandments
1) THOU SHALT NOT BRING HOME A PUPPY OR ADULT DOG AND EXPECT IT TO KNOW
IMMEDIATELY WHERE THE POTTY IS. Every time they move from one home to another
they need to be taught where to go.
2) THOU SHALT NOT EXPECT A PUPPY OF 8-16 WEEKS TO BE HOUSEBROKEN.
That's like expecting a one year old child to be completely potty trained --
It just AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. It WILL take closer to ONE FULL YEAR to completely house
train a puppy.
3) THOU SHALT NOT ALLOW THE NEW PUPPY TO MAKE ALL OVER THE HOUSE AND RUN
LOOSE AND THEN WONDER WHY THE DOG GOES BACK TO THE SAME SPOT TO MAKE.
You will have to disinfect the house thoroughly where he has done his business. A commercial
enzyme cleaner (Nature's Miracle, Urine Gone) will help neutralize the smell because
he WILL GO BACK to the spot that smells
4) THOU SHALT NOT YELL AT THE PUP (DOG) WHEN HE/SHE GOES IN THE WRONG SPOT.
Better than yelling, you need to just clean it up thoroughly and put the dog where he is
supposed to go. Dogs and most animals learn much better by the PRAISE AND REWARD
system. Showing the dog the mistake hours later is useless and confusing to the dog who
has long since forgotten what he did. So don't bother trying to have a meaningful conversation
about a mess that happened even 5 minutes ago. Just take a newspaper, roll it up and
SMACK YOURSELF on the head saying: "I wasn't watching my dog. I wasn't watching my dog."
5) THOU SHALT NOT KEEP THE YOUNG PUPS 6 MONTHS OR YOUNGER CONFINED FOR LONG
PERIODS OF TIME. They are too young until at least 6 months to hold it for that long.
Take them out to make frequently and generously praise and reward them for going where
you want them to
6) THOU SHALT NOT PUT A LONG HAIRED TOY DOG OUT IN THE RAIN TO MAKE UNLESS
YOU WANT TO USE A HAIR DRYER WHEN THEY COME BACK IN. To do so could cause
a chill and tonsillitis and/or trachea bronchitis.
7) THOU SHALT NOT EXPECT AN UN-NEUTERED OR UN-SPAYED DOG TO HAVE PROPER
POTTY MANNERS. It is only nature telling them (boys and girls) to leave calling cards and
scents for the other sex to notice. Chin up, if they were goats, they would constantly PEE
on their heads to make themselves attractive to the opposite sex.
8) THOU SHALT HAVE A POTTY PLACEGATED OFF FOR YOUR YOUNG PUPPY AT LEAST
UNTIL 12 MONTHS OF AGE. It's unrealistic to expect a young puppy to be completely
trained until then.
9) THOU SHALT SPEND A LOT OF TIME WATCHING THE DOG WHEN THE DOG IS NEW TO
THE HOUSE TO CORRECT BAD HABITS BEFORE THEY START.
10) THOU SHALT READ THESE COMMANDMENTS INSTEAD OF BEING ANGRY AT THE
DOG AND MEND YOUR WAYS. A dog wants nothing more than to please you.